Headsprout Proven Effective with Early Readers
Excerpts from Florida Center for Reading Research Report
What is Headsprout Early Reading?Headsprout Early Reading is a supplemental beginning reading program for students in Pre-K through 2nd Grade who are not yet reading or who are in the beginning stages of the reading process. Designed to teach the foundational skills and strategies that are critical in becoming a skilled fluent reader, this Internet-based program creatively captures the attention of the young reader through the use of engaging, highly interactive activities, and serves as an on-line tutor, providing one-on-one instruction.... Many unique aspects inherent in the design of Headsprout Early Reading facilitate the studentís acquisition of early reading skills.
How is Headsprout Early Reading aligned with Reading First?Headsprout Early Reading incorporates the five critical components of reading instruction cited by the National Reading Panel and Reading First: phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension.
Research Support for Headsprout Early ReadingIn sum, the content and design of Headsprout Early Reading reflect scientific research with an abundance of instructional strategies in phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary and comprehension. The developers of Headsprout Early Reading have produced a wide array of evidence that most children who work with the program acquire the specific skills it is designed to teach.
- Every student response is acknowledged with appropriate reinforcement and feedback.
- All lessons are highly interactive and provide multiple opportunities for practice, which in turn, increase student involvement.
- The sequence of sounds in this program were chosen because of their consistency in pronunciation.
- Sounds are held out or stretched during pronunciation and sounding out of words.
- A high focus on all aspects of fluency: establishes automatic letter-sound and word recognition, models expressive readings of text, and provides multiple opportunities for repeated readings that are geared to the increasing speed.
- Decodable texts are used to provide students with the chance to apply the skills they have been learning.
- By weaving cumulative review throughout all episodes, the potential for increasing the retention of skills and strategies is augmented.
- The program adapts to a studentís pattern of response, offering corrective feedback and teaching routines that are supportive and instructional.
- Even though the program does not use voice recognition technology, the design of instruction encourages frequent oral responding, which is verified by a model for comparison.
Product Update: Learning A-Z has merged Headsproutís two elementary reading products ó Headsprout Early Reading and Headsprout Reading Comprehension ó into one adaptive, effective, and fun K-5 online reading program. From introducing early readers to key reading fundamentals to growing reading comprehension skills for more established readers, Headsprout is the perfect resource to help children become capable and confident readers.