Headsprout is now on the Kids A-Z app!
Headsprout Early Reading is a K-2 supplemental program that ensures reading success for every child. The program takes a non-reader or beginning reader up to mid-2nd Grade reading skills in less than 30 hours of individualized online instruction.
Why Use Headsprout Early Reading Episodes
Headsprout Early Reading brings a non-reader or beginning reader up to a mid-second-grade reading level through individualized online instruction that adapts to each student in real time. In a matter of months, Headsproutís scientifically validated approach helps students learn critical skills that align with National Reading Panel objectives of phonemic awareness, phonics, oral reading, and reading comprehension.
The nationally recognized Florida Center for Reading Research (FCRR) stated that Headsprout Early Reading is built on scientific foundations and provides abundant instruction in phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension.
See the full Florida Center For Reading Research Report on the downloads page.
In the episodes, students learn through direct experience that letters make sounds, sounds combine to make words, words combine to make sentences, and sentences combine to make stories. The basic component skills and strategies necessary for reading, such as phonemic awareness, print awareness, phonics, sounding out, and segmenting and blending, are explicitly mastered in a fun, interactive manner.
How to Use Headsprout Early Reading Episodes
The online episodes can be used in whatever environment best suits the needs of your students, whether in a computer lab, the classroom, in the library, or at home. The episodes allow students to work independently, freeing teachers to monitor the entire class. Teachers can listen for oral responses, provide encouragement, celebrate student success, and offer support when needed.
All that is needed to use the program is an internet-connected computer or mobile device with the sound on, although headphones are recommended to prevent distracting nearby students.
Keys to Success
Follow these three keys to success to ensure that students get the most out of the episodes.
- Complete a minimum of three episodes per week. We have found that steady use gets the best results, and students enjoy the consistency and reliability.
Speak out loud when this icon is on the screen:
The little yellow face in the bottom right corner of the screen indicates an activity where the student is expected to say sounds, words, or sentences out loud.
- Read all the books while progressing through the episodes. The books are ready to read online after the student completes the corresponding episode. You can also print the books and use them in a group reading activity, or send them home to be read with parents.
Controlled research studies and field testing have demonstrated the gains that students make in their reading skills after completing Headsprout Early Reading. With a systematic use of the program (finishing at least three episodes per week, speaking out loud when asked), students quickly progress from being non-readers or reading below grade level, to reading at grade level.
Find out more about our case studies and field tests .
- Students learn that letters represent sounds
- Students learn that sounds go together to make words
- Students learn the critical strategies of:
- finding sounds in words (segmenting)
- saying contiguous sounds (blending)
- saying the word based upon hearing themselves say blended sounds
- Reading vocabulary grows up to 50 words
- Students read 23 decodable stories
Space World episodes 1-5
Introduces the basic concepts of reading: sounds make words, words make sentences, and sentences make stories.
Flashcards after episode 5 PDF
Dino World episodes 6-11
Reinforces previously taught sounds and words, and introduces new sounds and words. Emphasizes hearing words sounded out and then blended, and firms word and story reading.
Flashcards after episode 11 PDF
Sea World episodes 12-18
Reinforces general concepts and basic skills of reading, and introduces sounding out strategies.
Flashcards after episode 18 PDF
Sea World episodes 19-23
Continues the reading concepts of earlier episodes; increases complexity in language and content.
Flashcards after episode 23 PDF
- Students learn in one episode what previously took two or three episodes
- Students learn that sounds make up words, and words make sentences and stories
- Students read 19 additional stories
- Stories increase in length and complexity
- Reading vocabulary increases up to 500 words
Jungle World episodes 24-30
Introduces new sounds and more complex words as children practice the basic concepts and strategies of reading.
Flashcards after episode 30 PDF
Jungle World episodes 31-40
Continues to practice the basic concepts and strategies of reading, but with new and more complex yet common words. Some of the common words children learn are abstract (words such as "should", "could", and "would"), and the episodes include longer stories.
Flashcards after episode 40 PDF
Episode 31Preview Episode
Episode 32Preview Episode
Episode 33Preview Episode
Episode 34Preview Episode
Episode 35Preview Episode
Episode 36Preview Episode
Episode 37Preview Episode
Episode 38Preview Episode
Episode 39Preview Episode
Episode 40Preview Episode
- The pace of the program continues to quicken
- Multiple individual sounds are learned and applied in the very same episode
- Students practice segmenting and decoding with compound and nonsense words
- Students experience a greater emphasis on comprehension
Jungle World episodes 41-47
Quickens the pace and increases the sounds and vocabulary words learned. Children work with compound and nonsense words, and they experience a greater emphasis on comprehension.
Flashcards after episode 47 PDF
Dino World episodes 48-56
Continues to work with compound and nonsense words, with a greater emphasis on comprehension.
Flashcards after episode 51 PDF
Flashcards after episode 56 PDF
Episode 48Preview Episode
Episode 49Preview Episode
Episode 50Preview Episode
Episode 51Preview Episode
Episode 52Preview Episode
Episode 53Preview Episode
Episode 54Preview Episode
Episode 55Preview Episode
Episode 56Preview Episode
- One to two stories are read per episode
- Poetry and expository text are introduced
- Students experience more challenging comprehension and critical thinking activities
- Passage-reading fluency is greatly extended
- Vocabulary increases up to 5,000 words
- Students read 36 additional stories, including chapter books
Sea World episodes 57-66
Increases the sounds, words, and stories read; poetry and factual texts are introduced. Children experience more challenging comprehension and critical thinking activities, and their passage reading skill is greatly extended.
Flashcards after episode 61 PDF
Flashcards after episode 66 PDF
Episode 57Preview Episode
Episode 58Preview Episode
Episode 59Preview Episode
Episode 60Preview Episode
Episode 61Preview Episode
Episode 62Preview Episode
Episode 63Preview Episode
Episode 64Preview Episode
Episode 65Preview Episode
Episode 66Preview Episode
Space World episodes 67-80
Continues to extend challenging comprehension and critical thinking activities, and passage reading skill is greatly extended.
Flashcards after episode 70 PDF
Flashcards after episode 74 PDF
Flashcards after episode 77 PDF
Flashcards after episode 80 PDF
Episode 67Preview Episode
Episode 68Preview Episode
Episode 69Preview Episode
Episode 70Preview Episode
Episode 71Preview Episode
Episode 72Preview Episode
Episode 73Preview Episode
Episode 74Preview Episode
Episode 75Preview Episode
Episode 76Preview Episode
Episode 77Preview Episode
Episode 78Preview Episode
Episode 79Preview Episode
Episode 80Preview Episode